Baptist Health System to buy 6 geriatric psychiatric beds from Cooper Green | News
BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC)- Monday, the Jefferson County Commission voted to sell six beds in the geriatric psychiatric unit at Cooper Green Mercy Hospital.
Baptist Health System purchased the beds for $66,000. Commissioner George Bowman objected to the sale because he says the county was selling the beds below market costs.
"I didn't like the sale because number one we are giving away and beginning to start a fire sale of hospital assets for Cooper Green," Bowman said.
Zelia Baugh, Executive Director of Psychiatric Services with Baptist Health System, says people are lining up for geriatric psychiatric services. Baugh says they have seen an increased demand as Cooper Green Mercy Hospital downsized their operation.
County Commissioners moved quickly on the deal because Baptist Health System wants to appear before the state Certificate of Need Board Wednesday to approve the transfer.
Copyright 2012 WBRC. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man arrested for illegal possession of missing man's credit card
- Jameis Winston's high school coach says he never doubted Winston's innocence
- Man shot in Bessemer Saturday night dies at hospital
- Police search for suspect in Bessemer grocery store shooting
- Residents fight to keep East Ensley library open